Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Recount writing: Diary Extract: Apartheid- Ryan

Tuesday 7th August 1978 09:30am *

I could not believe what happend to that boy who got shot! He died in his brother's arms, it is such a sad sight to see that people getting shot! I HATE THESE WHITE FOOLS! Just because of colour, we can't go anywhere! We have to work cheap labour when they get the best jobs in the world! I really hate them!

13:05 *

We were protesting in front of the University of Cape Town, because they won't let us study engineering etc. They keep telling us we must go and work in the mines and get peanuts, then they are crazy! All of a sudden, the cops came with rubber guns and tear gas so they could chase us away. I ran as fast as I could and hid under a car. All I could see was people running away from the cops. I'm so lucky that no one got into the car and drove away,

Wednesday 8th August 1978 17:45 *

I just got up from bed and I heard that Nelson Mandela is guilty for what? These white people only think of themselves. I went to the white areas this morning to see if there is a job somewhere in the area, then this white guy came outside and said "Hey you, get out of the area you thing!" I carried on walking, and then the white guy pushed me against the wall and told me "Get out of the area or I'll call the police." I started running and went to the mines.

Dates not accurate *

7 comments:

  1. that was very intense work =) - Maddi

    ReplyDelete
  2. good use of your begging middle and end parts it also shows good personal veiws and feelings. - Rach and Maddi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting story Ryan. I thought you did pretty well against the success criteria. The story was in chronological order and was focused on the topic of apartheid. Your use of past tense was mostly consistent, although there are times when it moved to present tense. Your use of a rhetorical question was a powerful language feature. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ur exprience of south africa has helped u write this story so well -sanutep

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have WHITE FOOLS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Who has visted our site?